One of the major trends of the past two decades has been the transformation of economic growth, and the impact this has had on many Middle-Income Countries. Among others, China has achieved unprecedented economic and social development with impressive progress in poverty reduction, since its opening-up and reform in 1978.
During the process, China has also seen a rapid expansion of its engagement in providing foreign assistance and South-South Cooperation drawing on its domestic development experience. Over the past four decades, China has provided $60 billion aid globally, growing at approximately 10% each year since 2003. According to a recent estimate, China’s net foreign aid reached $5.8 billion in 2016, which could equal a ranking as 7th among the top development cooperation providers.
While traditional modes of development engagement led by China continue to be strengthened, increasing efforts have been made on exploring new types of partnerships with different stakeholders, such as Public-Private Partnerships as well as private sector and civil society engagement, in order to step up development cooperation between China and the world. As outlined in the 2030 Agenda, successful implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) requires partnerships between governments, the private sector and civil society. Inclusive partnerships are in urgent need to mobilize the resources required and to unlock the full potential for transformative change.
Against this backdrop, UNDP China, with support from the China International Center for Economic and Technical Exchanges (CICETE), and the Chinese Academy of International Trade and Economic Cooperation (CAITEC) under the Ministry of Commerce of People’s Republic of China, is organizing a side event along the Global South-South Development Expo 2018.
The focus on the event is to bring together government officials, businesses, international organizations, academia, and civil society, to showcase examples and discuss concrete solutions and experiences for accelerating the 2030 Agenda through South-South Cooperation.
- Experience sharing on innovative approaches for South-South Cooperation through the collaboration between UNDP and China with diversified partners with the aim to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals globally.
- Awareness raising for the international community to effectively engage with China on South-South Cooperation that advances developing countries’ achievements of their national priorities under the 2030 Agenda for Development.
- Stakeholder engagement between enterprises, governments, academia and civil society organizations to strengthen mutual understanding and information sharing, whilst exploring practical solutions and concrete activities on how inclusive partnerships can be better leveraged for sustainable development globally.
- Showcase good practices and lessons learnt while discussing potential opportunities and challenges of China’s role in South-South Cooperation.
- Insights brought by key stakeholders and experts on how to enhance inclusive partnerships for south-south and global development cooperation.
- Presentation on key findings of the 2017 Report on Sustainable Development of Chinese Enterprise Overseas.
- Practical experience shared by Chinese business leaders on integrating sustainability into business operations and investments overseas and its potential bearing on enhancing sustainable growth.
Speakers and Agenda
This session will be hosted by UNDP China, with support from the China International Center for Economic and Technical Exchanges (CICETE), the Chinese Academy of International Trade and Economic Cooperation (CAITEC) under the Ministry of Commerce of People’s Republic of China.
In addition to Global South-South Development Expo participants, the event will also target international organizations, business representatives and other academic institutions in New York, working on areas related to the topic. All Permanent Missions to the United Nations are welcome.
Focal Point Contact Details
Name: Mr. Niels Knudsen
Title: Assistant Country Director and Team Leader of South-South and Global Development Cooperation, UNDP China
Phone: (+86) 010 8532 0810