In response to a need to create a space for directors general and practitioners of South-South and triangular cooperation to discuss how to improve South-South and triangular cooperation and to facilitate innovative partnerships among all stakeholders, UNOSSC and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) jointly launched the Directors General Forum during the first Global South-South Development Expo in 2008. Since then, the Directors General Forum has been an integral part of the GSSD Expo.
The annual Directors General Forum brings together Directors General of development cooperation agencies of national governments of the South and the North that are already working on South-South and triangular cooperation or are ready to engage in such cooperation in the near future. It also offers an opportunity to make proposals for further mainstreaming South-South and triangular cooperation and to discuss the expected role of UNOSSC and other United Nations organizations. An open space for the Directors General as well as development cooperation practitioners, the Forum is intended to facilitate peer learning and the exchange of ideas on policy, strategy, and institutional and financial tools for South-South and triangular cooperation as well as management capacity. In addition, it offers an opportunity for partnership-building and matchmaking among Southern practitioners for scaling up South-South and triangular cooperation initiatives.
This ninth Directors General Forum will be co-organized by UNOSSC and JICA and hosted by the Government of Turkey. The theme of this year’s Forum is “Voices of practitioners of South-South and triangular cooperation and the road towards the High-level United Nations Conference on South-South Cooperation (BAPA+40 Conference)”. Proposed focus areas for the Directors General Forum include:
- special session on the BAPA+40 conference;
- capacity development in the institutional arrangement and management of South-South cooperation and triangular cooperation;
- strengthening regional cooperation through South-South cooperation and triangular cooperation for sustainable development;
- ways to foster the mobilization of resources to further strengthen South-South cooperation and triangular cooperation and partnerships.
For further details, please find the concept note and other sub-pages:
- Concept note
- DG Forum presentation and documents
- Confirmed participant list
- DG Forum online registration
- Case study submission guidelines
- Organization fact sheet. Please find the submitted fact sheet from here.
- Reference: 2016 DG Forum report